Monday, October 01, 2012

Your Lips Move, But I Can't Hear What You're Saying




CNN employee Howard "Mistah" Kurtz interviews NPR/PBS/New York Times/"Meet the Press" employee David Brooks on why it's awesome to be the Archbishop of Serious:

David Brooks, Riling Up the Right
by Howard Kurtz Sep 30, 2012  
For a conservative commentator, David Brooks gets plenty of flak from the right. And he doesn’t much care.

“If it’s from a loon, I don’t mind it,” the New York Times columnist tells me in a video interview. “I get a kick out of it. If it’s from Michelle Malkin attacking, I don’t mind it.” But if it’s “people who are thoughtful,” including some former colleagues at the Weekly Standard, “then it bothers you.”

Even worse, says Brooks: “I don’t mind liberals praising me, but when it’s the really partisan liberals, you get an avalanche of love, it’s like uhhh, I gotta rethink this.”
...
Brooks is still fuming over Romney’s comments that nearly half of Americans are freeloaders addicted to federal benefits. “Linking the idea that taking some government support. or not paying taxes, to dependency is just an absurdity,” he says. In fact, it’s “morally offensive.”

As for those who challenge his credentials, Brooks offers this: “If you define conservative by support for the Republican candidate or the belief that tax cuts are the correct answer to all problems, I guess I don’t fit that agenda. But I do think I’m part of a longstanding conservative tradition that has to do with Edmund Burke…and Alexander Hamilton.” 
...
What Mistah Kurtz fails to mention is that Mr. Brooks's "longstanding conservative tradition" is a work of fiction, invented by Mr. Brooks almost entirely out of whole cloth in order to bury the deeply troubling, bigoted, anti-science, anti-reason, pro-global-conquest real conservatism to which Mr. Brooks owes his entire professional career and from which he now flees like a vampire trying to outrace the dawn.  

It is a fiction that almost no one in the Beltway has ever or will ever challenge, because to trafficking in it is so fucking profitable.

Just ask the Archbishop of Serious:
... 
President Obama has personally courted Brooks, and I asked whether that has an impact on his writing, at least at the margins.

“When you have access, it helps you understand the debates they’re having,” he says of the White House. “But it’s never worth sacrificing your opinion, your writing an honest column, in order to preserve that access.”

But he also marvels at the counterintuitive way that White House officials deal with him.

“They have set up this incredibly perverse incentive structure,” Brooks explains. “When I write a really critical column, he’ll call, they’ll invite me in, they’ll want to talk to me. If I write a positive column, nothing.”

He’ll call? The president of the United States picks up the phone and calls David Brooks?

“It’s happened.”

David Brooks gives hope to mediocre hacks everywhere.

2 comments:

chautauqua said...

"Mistah Kurtz—he dead. A penny for the Old Guy".

And someday, the lights for DFB will go out, his Big Lie irrefutably repudiated, his legacy gone to bitter ashes, his collected works, radioactive.

And there will be no one taking up a collection for him.

marindenverh said...

" He’ll call? The president of the United States picks up the phone and calls David Brooks?

“It’s happened.”


David Brooks gives hope to mediocre hacks everywhere."

OK, I'm sorry. But I will never, ever believe that *He* is President Obama. Staff person assigned to fellate *prestigious* columnists? Sure. The Prez himself? Not seeing it, not ever